Sunday, November 04, 2007

Going Green...Slowly


Going Green…Slowly

Hello friends and family!

Inspired by my friend in Scotland who is transforming her farm into an organic operation, I’ve decided to document my steps to be a little greener. Hopefully you will read this and be inspired. We made all of these changes slowly, and really, every change has been a good one.

  1. Carpooling: Rich and I take one vehicle into Anchorage during the week. This caused some schedule problems originally because I only work 37.5 hours per week, and Rich often works 40+. However, after a frank discussion with my supervisor I was able to adjust my schedule to better match Richards…and I have the benefit of having Friday afternoons off to do the town chores like bulk shopping and visiting the good library.
  2. Cleaners: I have stopped purchasing toxic cleaners. It’s better for Rich and I, and for our pets, and eventually, for our children (and the planet, but when your skin turns red and rashy if you use the wrong laundry soap…you tend to focus on your personal benefit). I am already sensitive to many chemicals, including fragrances and dyes. I’ve been using up our existing cleaners and then replacing them with greener versions. My favorites so far: Dr. Bronner’s soaps (Rich’s mom Sandy showed me a great store here in Anchorage to get these), Mrs. Meyers Clean Day Dish Soap that smells like geraniums, Seventh Generation dishwashing liquid, All free and Clear laundry soap, with Bounce dye and scent free dryer sheets, and good ‘ol baking soda, white vinegar and hot water for the rest.
  3. Recycling: In Anchorage we’re lucky enough to have recycling facilities. Having been unused to this in Fairbanks it has taken us awhile to shift over (nobody’s perfect!) but we now have a dedicated place for recycled glass. In the future I’m hopeful to have it setup for #2 plastics, plastic bags, and mixed paper. We re-use a good quantity of our plastic bags for cleaning up after our dogs…but the bags still seem to build up. We don’t generate a lot of aluminum or batteries, so I bring what we do have into work which has a large set-up for this.
  4. Grocery Bags: Now that I’m getting more organized with the shopping, I’ve stashed re-usable grocery bags in my truck, so that when I go, they are all ready to go too.
  5. Locally grown and produced: We buy the local milk (as long as it’s around, the fate of the dairy is still undecided), local veges (so far only potatos and carrots, and some tomatoes and zucchini’s during the summer), and for the rest we try to get it from the Northwest at least. Again, we’re not perfect, but we’re reading labels and trying to make better choices.
  6. Organic! We’ve changed to buying organic products when and where we can. Rich is very allergic to the skins of soft fruits like apples and peaches, and I can’t help but wonder if the pesticides they use on these types of fruits are the culprit. We’ve also switched to whole grains and lower sugar. After a visit to my friend Liz, whose dad has diabetes, I’m looking to cut out high fructose corn syrup too. That stuff is in EVERYTHING!

What’s in the future?

Well, next year we plan on getting a more fuel efficient car (2008 Jetta Diesel) and use that for commuting instead of Rich’s big truck. His truck does surprisingly well on gas mileage – 20+ mpg, but the Jetta would get 40+ mpg – much better and cheaper.

Replacing our windows and major appliances with energy star rated ones. They all need replacing, that’s for sure. This may be over the next few years.

Replacing our thermostats with smarter digital ones, that can lower the heat during the day and raise it up while we’re at home.

I hate energy efficient bulb lighting…and in the dark of winter I hate them even more. So our compromise is to use the lights more efficiently, and to replace the lights we don't need the high quality white light from So fare we've changed over the garage lights, and have plans to change our hallway lights, but elsewhere give me an old fashioned bright glow to read by.

Increase our purchasing of locally grown foods. We already harvest our own salmon and game meat, but buying a side of beef from Palmer would be a good idea for next year. Stocking up during the summer at the Farmer’s Markets is something I hope to start next season. I’ll finally get to use the canning lessons and Rich’s fine pressure cooker!

Next summer we’re converting 20 square feet or so of our back yard into a vegetable garden. I love veges, and this is an easy way to have them on hand and know exactly what went onto or into them. We will have to build a fenced enclosure to keep the dogs out, but I think overall it will look nice and be a valuable addition to our yard. I’m considering a strawberry planter for the front yard. I think the neighborhood kids would love it, and we could grow enough to share.

Use less Plastic: This is a goal I’ve had in the back of my mind for awhile now…but I’m trying to use less plastic to wrap and transport things. Someday I’d like to completely get rid of the ziplock bag, and use aluminum foil or wax paper, which we can recycle. We have to use plastic though to wrap our salmon so that it lasts all year though…anyways, something I’m struggling with.

That’s all for now – any other green ideas you all think Rich and I could implement?

3 comments:

Liz said...

One thing I try to do to save energy is to use the dryer less. I use it for my underwear and socks (simply because I don't like draping them all over the house). My shirts and pants I dangle from the banisters to dry. I'm thinking of getting drying racks for my guestroom (so my undies aren't out where everyone can see). Your post reminded me.

Michelle Therese said...

WOW this is great stuff Shannon! Mind if I take notes? hehehe!

Anonymous said...

Shannon,
Good for you trying to recycle and use less plastics. Organic foods are the best choices too. Don't know if you remember, but I grew most of the food you ate for the first five years of your life (in Washington State). I raised veges, fruits, beef, chicken and baked the bread. Coming back to Alaska derailed that because it was so hard to get the variety needed and animals were too expensive to raise. Your dad is very sensitive to perfumes too, so you came by it honestly.
Mom