Sunday, November 11, 2007

Now that it's snowing...

I finally have time for some of the many projects I've been putting off.

Here's the dining room BEFORE, note the pale walls, and lots of oak. This is the DR as decorated by the previous owners. You can't see it, but there was a hideous 1980's vintage hanging light in gold, oak and glass.










After, you can see I kept some oak, but I really wanted to go for a hint of Europe. so I sewed up some black and white striped cafe curtains, and painted two walls a light apple green. I painted the chairs black and painted a cheap chandelier that was rust colored to glossy black. My great friend Wendy came down and helped me do all this in a weekend!


















It took Rich and I awhile to find a dining table, we finally found one on Craig's list for a reasonable price, and we saved up and purchased the shelving unit you can see from Crate and Barrel. There is a matching desk unit coming, but it's on back order, so for now the card table will stay.


The best part is that we are finally able to showcase the cool stuff we received as wedding presents. The wine rack and wine glass storage, the candlesticks, and the dishes were all gifts. So are the little white frames, we put black and white pictures of the dogs in them, and hung them from crystal cabinet knobs. Looks totally cute!



















And here is the outside of our home - the trees look like the ones in fairy tales. I love this time of year! We're both hoping for some more snow, because there isn't enough to snowmachine yet!

6 comments:

Liz said...

Your dining room looks great! What a difference from the before picture.

Michelle Therese said...

Wow! How classy! My dining room is so yellow it makes my eyes water. For some reason Erlend was ok with garish yellow wallpaper containing equally garish prints of blue flower pots with huge orange flowers. I'm trying to think of a way to decorate but I lack your knack!

deb said...

You did good work. I have no idea how to decorate and would probably just leave everything as is. LOL You did a great job.

Anonymous said...

Hi, sorry to barge in here, but my username is Thewhitesettler on Island Blogging, where Michelle ( Coffee Catholic? Walled Garden? ) has a weblog post, Things Go Moo In The Night. She has not been posting of late, and I was just concerned for her wellbeing, she seems alright, but she is being missed on IB. That's about it, just wanted to know that Moo was OK. Cheery......

Shannon & Richard said...

Michelle is fine, just busy with many things. I did forward your inquiry to her, and she's promised to come back to IB soon!

Have a happy Thanksgiving! Err..actually, do they have Thanksgiving in Scotland?

Anonymous said...

Where do you think that America got the Thanksgiving Day from? It is celebrated in some parts of Scotland, ask Michelle, only it's the last thursday of the month, but hey I'm not a churchy person, just a normal guy> Thank you for getting in touch, Happy Thanksgiving, go easy on the turkey. Cheery Tws........