Monday, January 21, 2008

December Update

Hello! We've been too busy lately to keep up, so here is a smattering of our December :)

We hosted a Holiday Block Party, and invited our neighbors and friends. It was a big success, and I think we'll definitely do it again next year!

Here I am all dressed up for the holidays. I wore this santa hat everywhere. To the store, to work, to open presents, everything!

My front door wreath, made from the bottom limbs of our tree!



Here is our fine tree. I think this is the nicest tree we've ever had. So bushy and tall! Our dogs liked it too :)

Here is my living romo all decked out for the holidays.

Another view - notice the cool mantle scarf that my friend Heather and I made while I visited her in Vermont. It looks awesome - thanks Heather!



Oh yeah, I turned thirty...woohoo. See my other blog for my thirtieth birthday project.


Rich took me on the coolest date - here in Anchorage some people put up about a million lights and broadcast music over the radio, you can drive up, park and watch the show. Rich happened to know this guy from the fire station in Fairbanks. He was super nice and told us that he had over 62,000 lights and planned to add even more next year. He accepts donations for the MatSu Boys and Girls Club, amazing! I can't even imagine his electric bill for Dec!!!

Finally, the big hit of the season was a batch of Angel Wing cookies - they were delicious, and I've put the recipe down below - Happy New Year!!


Angel Wings

1 stick butter (1/2 cup), softened
1 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 large egg
1/2 tsp pure almond extract
1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch

2.5 inch heart shaped cookie cutter

Decoration: white of one large egg, slightly beaten, sliced almonds and granular sugar

1. Beat butter, sugar and baking powder in a large bowl with mixer on low speed to blend. INcrease to medium high and beat until fluffy. Beat in egg and almond extract. On low speed, beat in flour and cornstarch until just blended.

2. Divide dough in half. Shape each portion into a 1 inch thick disk. Wrap individually with plastic wrap adn refrigerate at least 4 hours or until firm enough to roll out.

3. Heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Roll out dough on lightly floured was paper to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out hearts with cookie cutter. Place hearts 1 inch apart on cookie sheet. Cut a 1.5 inch slit at bottom of hearts. Spread apart slightly to form wings. Brush hearts with egg white. Attach sliced almonds as shown - to form feathers. Sprinkle entire cookie with granulated sugar.

4. Bake 8-10 minutes until just golden brown at edges. Remove to wire rack to cool.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shannon you have a really nice living room. I wish I had one that nice.

Michelle Therese said...

WOW! You have a lovely house! I'm so glad you put up Christmas decoration pics because I was dying to see them. Our camera doesn't work well any more so our pictures are dwindling. We'll have to get a new one. Well, cheerio for now ~~ we are off to the bull sales at the auction mart!!