Monday, January 28, 2008

Vegetables!


We've been buying local produce for a long time. But living in Alaska it is tough during the winter to find a variety of locally grown foods. Many of the fruits, vegetables, and herbs are obviously flown in from warmer climates.

I always buy potatoes and carrots locally, and in season tomatoes, zucchini and of course, I pick blueberries and freeze rhubarb.

But how to avoid fruit flown from Chile, where who knows what pesticides and working conditions are used? Well, a friend has convinced me to try a community subscription service (CSA) from a farming cooperative out of Washington State. (Full Circle Farm if you’re interested) It’s still flying in produce, and not local, but they guarantee all member farms are organic, in the northwest, and use fully legal labor to harvest their produce. For $38 per box I get 12-14 different kinds of vegetables, fruits and herbs. I chose to receive a box every other week right here in Eagle River, and for the comfortable price of $76 per month for almost all my fresh veggies – I’m pretty happy. It fits in my budget, is supporting good farms in the US, and gives us the variety we’re craving.

I can’t wait for my first box full of tangello's, leeks, yams, basil, spinach and apples!


PS If you're in Anchorage and want to do this too - just go to their website and sign up. There is no minimum order and you can start and stop at any time. Also, if you list us as your referral, we get a free box :)

1 comment:

Michelle Therese said...

Wow!! That's so cool Shannon! You'll have to post pictures of your first box of awesome organic local fair-labour veggies!! (I'm a total picture-a-holic...)