Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Organic and Fresh Taste Better!

So we've received our second box of veges from our Full Circle Farm CSA, and I thought I'd share the bounty of our box!

Our attention was immediately grabbed by the sweetness of our vegetables and fruits. This time of year the produce available in the grocery store often tastes bland, watery, or bitter. Not these vegetables!

A few surprising things:
1. At first the portions seemed a bit tiny, but when I got around to cooking them, it turns out they are perfect for two people. Enough for two servings at dinner and some leftovers for the next day. We are just used to buying one large bag of something to save money, and not having any variety. The variety is wonderful!

2. Some of our fruit came from South America??? I thought it was a local Co-op, but after emailing CSA, they replied that they 'strive to provide a nutritionally complete set of vegetables and fruit each week' so they must bring in some fruit and some vegetables from South America. They personally verify that the farms are organic, fair trade, and use fair labor practices. My mango from Peru is from a 40 farm agricultural co-op, that raises organic fruit for a premium price. Hmmm....so still not local, but I guess if I want a mango in February in Alaska, that's where you have to go. I'm still thinking about this. In the future I may swap out the mangos for local produce. That mango was delicious though.... Tough decisions!

3. We're trying new vegetables! We ate garnet yams and bok choy for the first time last week (both delicious by the way), and new this week is kale and sunchokes. Can't wait to see what they taste like!

Also nice is the small amount of waste - one large plastic bag (that I used to wrap the veges in within my refrigerator), two small paper bags, one small plastic bag from the salad greens, and two small plastic net bags. That's it. The box it comes in gets flattened and re-used.

Before

After

No, this isn't the vegetable box, but it was so cute I couldn't resist. Our Quentin Cat is just so adorable sometimes!


Love to all, hope everyone out there is staying safe, and yes mom, we're being careful on these slick roads.

2 comments:

Michelle Therese said...

Hi Shannon!! I was drooling when I looked at the pictures haha! I never like veg because it was always so bitter and bland but after Erlend grew a lot of our own in an organic patch I discovered what veggies are supposed to taste like!! I never knew that turnips and parsnips and tomatoes were sweet...or that potatoes had flavour!

I wish I could reach through the pictures and take a bite out of some of those greens. You've inspired me! I'm going to have to investigate an organic box from Britain because we can't find organic greens in winter. There has to be something...

Have a lovely day!!! Our walled garden is full of white snowdrop flowers and the daffodils are threatening to bloom!

~Michelle

Anonymous said...

See HERE